Why those tears, those bitter tears, those sobs that poured out as I stood at my grandparents grave. Was it for the separation of death, that long break 60 years ago? Why those tears, those bitter tears, emerging from some unknown wound? What loss, as I stood there, overcome, at the tomb of my grandparents? The memory of loss, their loss, my father’s tears at their loss, the passing of time, their life and my mine as finally I try to acknowledge the failures.
Or the stress of the recent conference in Brussels as I realised my insignificance, as I begin to realise my body is weakening and becoming stiff with age, my slow steps to the grave.
The bitter tears, the tears springing of their own accord, starting to well up when the florist remembered my mother – “une grande dame, mince” – and my father – “plus petit” –who knew the tomb, “allée J en montant” she remembered, “tombe en permanence”.
The cries then, and the groans as the grey skies too shed their tears.
And I bent down and straightened the cross that had been broken. And I placed the roses, six of them, red and pink, on the dark grey slab of stone. A fine tomb carved by Amedée Hiroux; he and his wife were friends of my grandparents. And I knelt down and made the promise on their grave to do a work worthy of them, to bring to a successful conclusion the gifts given to me.
Then I left never to return, either me or probably any other of their offspring.
- Ageing well June 6, 2022
- Sheikh Mazen – Jerusalem 2014 May 23, 2022
- Dawn in Jerusalem, 2014. May 23, 2022
- God and creation: transcendent and immanent December 16, 2021
- Transcendence – Immanence December 16, 2021
- Verse 31 contracting the eye-brow centre November 27, 2021
- Empowerment in Christianity and Kashmir Shaivism: the interplay of Spirit and kuṇḍalinī November 27, 2021
- 2004, Radio ZZZ, Christmas, Jesus the refugee November 27, 2021
- 2010, Radio SBS, Pâques, « la foule hurle, ‘crucifie-le, crucifie-le’ » November 27, 2021
- The Antipodes, a poem November 27, 2021
- Homily, Pentecost Sunday, 2021 May 31, 2021
- Robin Thiger and Nadet Alan May 9, 2021
- Vijñānabhairava-tantra August 7, 2020
- Poems, assorted August 6, 2020
- Conferences, 2000-2020 August 6, 2020
- 1958-2003, “A Long Journey” July 23, 2020
- 1999, Pureté et puissance, Dimanche de la Passion, Victorian-Mauritian Pastoral Council June 15, 2020
- 2003, SBS-Radio, On n’écoute pas les prophètes ! Pâques June 15, 2020
- 2000, SBS-Radio, Pâques, Le tombeau vide June 15, 2020
- 1986, Radio 3EA, Good Friday June 15, 2020
- Noreen O’Meara, Homily at the Funeral Mass, 2000 June 15, 2020
- Messe du Père Laval 2000, Les lettres de Jacques Désiré Laval et les ‘béatitudes’. June 15, 2020
- Messe du Père Laval 2000, The Shroud of Turin June 15, 2020
- Homily at the wedding of Xavier Vandame and Kendra Dugay, 2000 June 15, 2020
- 2000, French-Australian Association Mass, St Patrick’s Cathedral, L’ambition June 15, 2020
- Annie O’Neill, Homily at the Funeral Mass, 27 October, 2000 June 15, 2020
- 2002, Devant l’Enfant nous retrouvons notre enfance. SBS, Message de Noël May 30, 2020
- 2001. Elle a chuchoté les mots ‘paix, amour’. ZZZ. Message de Pâques. May 26, 2020
- 1998. Quelle est la lumière qu’il a fait briller en nous ? Messe du Victorian Mauritian Pastoral Council May 26, 2020
- 1998. On sait que la vie n’est pas absurde. SBS-Radio. Message de Noël. May 26, 2020